Roles and Responsibilities of Direct Selling Agent/Representative
In The primary responsibility of the Banking Direct Selling Agent/Representative is branch management and in-branch services, teller and platform services, financial product sales, customer services, and management of lending risk to retail customer base. He builds a client base for banking direct sales through prospecting, networking, and referrals.
A typical job description for the Banking Direct Selling Agent Representative role may include:
1. Develops new business prospects in specific geographic areas through cold calls.
2. Interacts with existing customers to increase sales of the bank's products and services.
3. Requires a high school diploma or equivalent and 2-4 years of experience in the field or in a related area.
4. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
IBA Model Code of Conduct for Direct Selling Agents
1. Tele-calling a Prospect (a prospective customer)
A prospect is to be contacted for sourcing a bank product or bank related product only under the following circumstances:
a. When prospect has expressed a desire to acquire a product through the bank's internet site/call centre/Branch or through the Relationship Manager at the bank or has been referred to by another prospect/customer or is an existing customer of the bank who has given consent for accepting calls on other products of the bank.
b. When the prospect's name/telephone no/ address is available & has been taken from one of the lists/directories/databases approved by the DSA Manager/Team leader, after taking his/ her consent.
The TME should not call a person whose name/number is flagged in any "do not disturb" list made available to him/her.
2. When you may contact a prospect on telephone
Telephonic contact must normally be limited between 0930 Hrs and 1900 Hrs. However, it may be ensured that a prospect is contacted only when the call is not expected to inconvenience him/her.
Calls earlier or later than the prescribed time period may be placed only under the following conditions:
When the prospect has expressly authorized TME/BDE to do so either in writing or orally
3. Can the prospect's interest be discussed with anybody else?
DSA should respect a prospect's privacy. The prospect's interest may normally be discussed only with the prospect and any other individual/family member such as prospect's accountant/secretary /spouse, authorized by the prospect.
4. Leaving messages and contacting persons other than the prospect.
Calls must first be placed to the prospect. In the event the prospect is not available, a message may be left for him/her. The aim of the message should be to get the prospect to return the call or to check for a convenient time to call again. Ordinarily, such messages may be restricted to:
Please leave a message that ______________ (Name of officer) representing Axis Bank called and requested to call back at __________ (phone number)".
As a general rule, the message must indicate:
That the purpose of the call is regarding selling or distributing a bank product of Axis Bank
5. No misleading statements/misrepresentations permitted
TME/BDE should not -
• Mislead the prospect on any service / product offered;
• Mislead the prospect about their business or organization's name, or falsely represent themselves.
• Make any false / unauthorised commitment on behalf of Axis Bank for any facility/service.
6. Telemarketing Etiquettes
No calls prior to 0930 Hrs or post 1900 Hrs unless specifically requested.
- No serial dialing
- No calling on lists unless list is cleared by team leader
- Identify yourself, your company and your principal
- Request permission to proceed
- If denied permission, apologize and politely disconnect.
- State reason for your call
- Always offer to call back on landline, if call is made to a cell number
- Never interrupt or argue
- To the extent possible, talk in the language which is most comfortable to the prospect
- Keep the conversation limited to business matters
- Check for understanding of "Most Important Terms and Conditions" by the customer if he plans to buy the product
- Reconfirm next call or next visit details
- Provide your telephone no, your supervisor's name or your bank officer contact details if asked for by the customer.
- Thank the customer for his/her time
- Customers who have expressed their lack of interest for the offering should not be called for the next 3 months with the same offer
- Provide feedback to the bank on customers who have expressed their desire to be flagged "Do Not Disturb"
- Never call or entertain calls from customers regarding products already sold. Advise them to contact the Customer Service Staff of the bank.
7. Gifts or bribes
TME/BDE's must not accept gifts from prospects or bribes of any kind. Any TME/BDE offered a bribe or payment of any kind by a customer must report the offer to his/her management.
8. Precautions to be taken on visits/contacts
BDE should :
• Respect personal space - maintain adequate distance from the prospect.
• Not enter the prospect's residence/office against his/her wishes;
• Not visit in large numbers - i.e. not more than one BDE and one supervisor, if required.
• Respect the prospect's privacy.
• If the prospect is not present and only family members/office persons are present at the time of the visit, he/she should end the visit with a request for the prospect to call back.
• Provide his/her telephone number, supervisor's name or the concerned bank officer's contact details, if asked for by the customer.
• Limit discussions with the prospect to the business - Maintain a professional distance.
9. Other important aspects - Appearance & Dress Code
BDE's must be appropriately dressed -
For men this means
- Well ironed trousers;
- Well ironed shirt, shirt sleeves preferably buttoned down.
For women this means
- Well ironed formal attire (Saree, Suit etc.);
- Well groomed appearance.
Jeans and/or T Shirt, open sandals are not considered appropriate.
10. Handling of letters & other communication
Any communication sent to the prospect should be only in the mode and format approved by the Bank.